Date: Monday, June 11, 2018, 7pm
Location: St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 825 King Street West, Kitchener
The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, North Waterloo Region branch will have its AGM at the historic St. Mark’s Lutheran Church. The church has now been sold to a developer. Members and guests will have the opportunity to view the church interior and learn more about its remarkable features. Inside the church are displayed exceptional work of a variety of skilled craftsmen who enriched the interior with impressive Gothic oak fittings, handsome hammerbeam ceiling, box-style pews and rear balcony reminiscent of medieval English great halls.
You can also view the wonderful stained glass windows designed in styles both traditional and contemporary and representing the work of several glass studios, among them Kitchener’s own Bullas family of glass artists. The church building itself shows to stunning effect these and other distinguished local arts and crafts. It is a beautifully articulated Gothic revival style, designed by local architect Bernal A. Jones. St. Mark’s Lutheran was newly built and dedicated in 1939 for a congregation of Lutheran worshipers. Bernal Jones was architect to the PUC building opposite Kitchener City Hall and the 1924 City Hall, now demolished.
Diane Bonfonte, long-time member of St Mark’s, who has served as its historian for many years will share details of the congregation’s history that date back well beyond the building of the current church in 1939.
Susan Burke will speak to the stained glass artistry in the church and Karl Kessler will share information on the design of the church and its elegant interior carpentry. Refreshments will be served in the adjoining Parish Hall.
Church members have generously volunteered to conduct brief tours of the sanctuary and parish hall for members who arrive by 6:45. The Casavant organ may even provide a musical welcome before the official business of the AGM gets underway.
Admission for the evening is free for members and guests but as always, donations are welcome. Parking is located next to the church on King Street. Additional paid parking is available across King Street.