- Consult your Heritage Conservation District plan for landscaping guidelines. e.g. Kitchener Victoria Park HCD, pages 57-59
- Learn about the landscape style matching the period of your house. Read the Region of Waterloo Practical Guide to Landscaping [pdf].
- Decide how much time do you want to invest in upkeep and maintenance.
- Ensure plants, e.g. vines, trees, do not damage your buildings.
- For more information, consult the Region of Waterloo Practical Guide to Landscaping [pdf].
- Below is a list of practitioners who claim to have experience with heritage properties.
- It is not an endorsement or recommendation.
- Please check references and previous work before engaging anyone.
- Before you start work, please read this advice from heritage property owners who learned the hard way.